Q is for quilt


As in quilted wood
This is a close up of a full size wooden quilt kimono I made based on a vintage 60's fabric one I bought in Dallas Texas many years ago. I did them in sections on mdf board that were then gessoed, painted, cut out and reassembled and then stitched together with coated wire.

The Boom is Over. Long Live Art.
I read this in the New York Times Sunday and anybody struggling with the current economy and the state of the arts might find it interesting. It was the final paragraph that struck me.

"I’m talking about carving out a place in the larger culture where a condition of abnormality can be sustained, where imagining the unknown and the unknowable — impossible to buy or sell — is the primary enterprise. Crazy! says anyone with an ounce of business sense. Right. Exactly. Crazy. "

Yes, I feel like being crazy!
Whether it will be abnormal or not I haven't a clue, that is an unknown and not knowable.
And anyhow what is abnormal???????
Deviating from a standard?
Whose standard?

meanwhile

I don't know many people that knit poo fairy's, but that is hardly an earth shattering deviation into the unknown. No, I made it for a special person who is struggling with the unknown and known consequences of dealing with cancer and the various treatments.
"When life sucks and hands you lemons,
I say beat the crap out of it and demand some Florida Oranges as well"


Professional News
UK DiY chose one of our textile totems (peace pole) as part of their exhibit at the Turnpike Gallery in Wigan England. I love how they describe it as being "bright, gobsmacking, curious, fun, inspiring and so much more." I wish I could be there and see it, looks fab.


Comments

deb said…
I hadn't seen the kimono before, it is awesome... and congrats on the show
Janets Planet said…
The boom is over. Dang I missed it in the first place! ARRGGH!
jafabrit said…
LOL! I know what you mean Jan :)

Thanks Deb :) I was very pleased with the results, but never again. It was a very awkward project and did a number on my back.
jafabrit said…
plus the dang thing weighs a ton lol! still I enjoy seeing it.
Sean Baker said…
awww i do love the little poo fairy :)
The kimono is wonderful... congratulations on the showing:)
Colette Amelia said…
I love that pole! Poo fairies what a brilliant idea! you shine girl!

I have the comment thing figured out and will only do it once this time.
Undaunted said…
Ooh, I love that little poo fairy! It's so cute!

The kimono is amazing! I can't imagine how long that must have taken!

Popular Posts