craft vs Art: street art stencil in stitch

Betsy Greer has a super blog entry about Grayson Perry Great Art vs Craft Debate .
I was really intrigued with the video where Perry talks about making The Tomb of the Unknown Craftsman show at the British Museum.
I liked this comment "My art is what I make, my craft is the skills I have learned in order to make it well" I found  here

Every now and again I will read someone asking if they should sign their embroidery or textile art. I don't see why it is any different than signing a painting if it's your original design :)  

Meanwhile here is my mix of art and craft

Hand embroidery on tea stained/spray painted linen
 I finally finished this piece based on a stencil art piece I made for Free Art Friday.  It turned out a lot paler than the original and I think I may have to do something about that. I liked the strong bold colours of the original much better.

Comments

Popular Posts