Behind the Camera

I've been exploring how I can take photographs for the POWA! Project that shows a time,a place or mood fitting with the theme of the blog. It's going slow, partly because we (Nancy and I) are waiting on a grant application (woo hoo, just heard we got the grant), and a need NOT to rush it along.
In the meantime I thought I would apply the same approach to deconstructing one of my own photographs as a good exercise. I have done some nice photographs in the past, which I would call happy accidents. Taking the time to really ask before I go out the door with the camera what is it I want to say with my photographs is a different kettle of fish.
I tried that with the Rainy Day Series of photographs in Yellow Springs, Ohio.
Camera Model: Iphone
Backstory: you can read about it on the Rainy Day Series link.
Preparation for the Shoot: remembering to take my brolly
Challenges: NOT dropping my flipping phone, seriously, iphones are already slick enough without the help of rain.

Thoughts behind these photographs: 
I wanted to convey the grey wet Ohio day, and there was something about the  bright balloons waving around in the breeze that appealed to the child in me. I used photoshop to alter the background and make it fuzzy black and white.  Not sure if it gives anyone the sense of place, but perhaps it does in regards to main street America? 
Keith's Alley 
I just loved how even with paint peeling and  the dilapidated building, the old graffiti and rain made the colours just POP. 

I didn't plan it this way, but all in all I think many of the photographs I took that day were about colour. It is one of the things I love about this quirky little village in the middle of Ohio.

Photo Tips
20 questions to ask yourself 

Comments

Popular Posts